Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 21, 2015

Isotopes

Isotopes
Naming isotopes...

           X
Z

A is the mass number, which is the sum of protons and neutrons
Z is the atomic number, or the number of protons
X is the element symbol

1. Determine the number of protons
2. Determine the number of electrons
ADJUST ELECTRON COUNTS FOR IONS
3. Determine the number of neutrons

For Example:




References:
(n.d.). Retrieved September 21, 2015, from http://www.expertsmind.com/CMSImages/606_Nuclear Notation 1.png

3 comments:

  1. I admire the keen organization taken to keep this page clean. The "formula" of isotopes was honestly tricky to master because the letters differ from the source material, but this has definitely helped me in memorization. Thanks Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how in your posts, you put actually what we learned in a detailed and organized way, and not just an overview of the hour. I'll use your blog to help me review what we learned in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post helped to easily explain how to name and label isotopes. I like how organized and understandable your posts are!

    ReplyDelete