Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Learning to Dilute

Learning to Dilute
To simplify dilutions,

  1. Determine what you do and do not know
  2. Plug your values into the formula (M1V1=M2V2)
  3. Account for any differences in units
  4. Use simple algebra to solve the problem
  5. Round, keeping significant digits in mind.
I know it seems self explanatory, but it helps me when everything is listed out. Step-by-step is easiest!!


I was also taught the triangle method when working with problems.
In this method, if you were trying to solve for Liters, you would cover Liters on the triangle and are left with Moles of solute divided by molarity. In the same fashion, MxL=Mol and Mol/L=M

For more help Click: Dilutions and Triangle Method

3 comments:

  1. The thing about dilutions that messed me up at first was that I though every dilution had the same ratio. However, after examining the tests and your diagram, I've corrected myself. Thanks Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the great triangle picture. it is very easy to understand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all the great diagrams, they are very helpful. I like doing dilutions because some of them are easy to understand and I get an actual answer.

    ReplyDelete